17 Migrants Dead in Bus Crash in Mexico | Court Practice News


A bus carrying dozens of mostly Venezuelan migrants crashed in southern Mexico on Friday, killing 17 people and injuring another 15, state authorities said.

The bus was carrying about 55 migrants as it traveled on a highway in the state of Oaxaca when it overturned, the state’s civil protection agency said on X, the site previously known as Twitter. Most of those on the bus were from Venezuela, the agency said.

The cause of the crash, and whether other vehicles were involved, was not disclosed.

Images posted on social media by Oaxaca’s civil protection agency showed the bus overturned with what appeared to be damage to the top of the vehicle.

The injured, whose conditions were unknown, were taken to local hospitals in the neighboring state of Puebla, which neighbors Oaxaca to the northwest, the interior ministry for Puebla said in a post. The crash happened near state lines.

Salomón Jara Cruz, the governor of Oaxaca, posted in Spanish that state officials were providing aid to those involved in the crash.

“We deeply regret the fatal accident that occurred on the Oaxaca-Cuacnopalan highway, in which several migrants died,” he said. “Our condolences to the families of the deceased and all our solidarity and support to the injured.”

Sergio Salomón, the governor of Puebla, posted in Spanish that he was “dismayed” about the crash and also expressed his support to the victims and their families.

There has been a recent wave of people from Latin America and other regions trying to reach the United States. Many of them are fleeing violence or poverty, often with their children. Many of those migrants travel through Mexico hoping to enter the United States through its border with Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or California.

Migrants face dangerous conditions on the road. In 2021, 54 people died and more than 100 others were injured in a truck accident in southern Mexico, with many of the victims believed to be migrants from Central America.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Ex-lover of Spain's former king loses USD 153 million harassment lawsuit in London court, ET LegalWorld | Court Practice News

Fri Oct 6 , 2023
Former Spanish King Juan Carlos I won his London court battle Friday with an ex-lover who had sought 126 million pounds (USD 153 million) in damages for allegedly being harassed and spied on by him after their breakup. Danish socialite and businessperson Corinna Larsen, also known as Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, […]

You May Like

Breaking News